Saturday 9 January 2016

We're here!


WE HAVE ARRIVED!!

Hazaar, finally in the place that each of us have been dreaming about for the last 4 years since we heard that Aberystwyth University students were privy to an exchange trip up to the arctic circle to work on arctic studies. Fantastic. Great. Brilliant. - 

 - Where's my suitcase you say? oh that's not important, let's not focus on the fact that I was the only one out of our group to have had their suitcase dropped somewhere in Europe and is now without clothes till Sunday. *Sigh*

Alright so complaining over I'm ecstatic. We took a short trip down to the Centre yesterday after we arrived and got a hold of the ID badges we need, some information, and a small chance to meet some of the people we're going to be spending the next few months with. After which we went shopping and immediate confusion set in. Everything was labelled in Norwegian so thank god we knew what bacon looked like but it was like £3-4 for a pack of 5 rashers! So now not only are we translating food (unsurprisingly) but we're having to take out a small loan to pay for it all. Yaaaaaaaaaaay

Myself and Lucy are in Brekke (Block) 3 for the next week before we're moved back to our ordinary block 11 after some work has been completed on it. In the meantime we've settled into our rooms which are super spacious and really quite warm. I'll take a picture when we're settled into our actual rooms as I doubt we'll fully unpack till we are.

On the menu for today is revision it seems, people are having issues getting out of bed, myself included as I was waiting for the room to get a bit lighter... I imagine that will happen a few more times before I fully get used to the fact that won't happen. During the revision I'm sure there will be points where we go outside to have a little look around or simply explore the centre itself. So to leave you all I've chosen a few pictures of the journey over and I'll have a video up in a little while:














 






And I only managed a single selfie. Excuse the somewhat bedraggled presentation; I was wearing the same clothes and hadn't had a shower for 15-16 hours.


Time for a cuppah I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment